Old 20-08-2004, 01:57 AM
RichToyBox

A couple of years ago I found info on the web, can't remember the source as
shown below.
Lily Fertilizer

This fertilizer recipe was credited to Mr. Perry Slocum who has originated
and patented many of the lilies and lotus, including Mrs. Perry Slocum a
very fragrant lotus with large double flowers.

The recipe is based on mixing a bushel size container of soil.

1. Use good clay type garden soil.

2. Mix into the soil 1 cup of bone meal.

3. Mix into the soil 1 cup of granular fertilizer with a high middle
number such as 10-20-10. The larger middle number is for blooms.

4. Add about 8 large Agriform fertilizer tablets around the edge of
the container. (If you cannot find Agriform tablets, use Jobe's Tomato
Spikes).

5. Mix into the soil 1 cup of dried blood meal.

Make sure all is mixed well. Top with pea gravel or larger to keep the fish
out

Stand back and watch and "listen" to them grow. After about 3 weeks in this
soil ad new tablets every 2 weeks.

--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html
"Hal" wrote in message
There was a thread earlier about once a year fertilizer for lilies, or
it may have been aquatic plants, anyway I thought I would try a slow
release low nitrogen fertilizer in my lilies since they were beginning
to slow down on the blooms a bit. I went to my local Lowe's and
found the lowest nitrogen10 and highest phosphate 13 with potash 13
the best thing they had and thought that might do. It might please
some, but I want blooms not leaves. I put up some pictures of what
happened to two of the pots, so you can snicker a bit if it pleases
you to laugh at a dummy. Go ahead, I grinned a bit myself!
http://members.cox.net/hrclark1/Index.html

I began looking for a slow release, or aquatic fertilizer with
15-30-15, or 1-2-1 mix and found what I was using that has to be fed
once every two weeks and one site had the nerve to call that slow
release. I also found an 8-24-8 that I think would work well, but
trying to feed two 8 to 10 gallon lily pots gets tiresome with the
small stakes weighed in grams, that takes one to a gallon of soil. I
didn't find a 4 oz tree stake that was anything like the 1-2-1 or
1-3-1 which I believe to be much better for water lilies.
If someone has a source for a good slow release lily fertilizer,please
post it.

Regards,

Hal