Old 15-08-2004, 04:22 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I don't think it is evaporation, it could be splash, or could be wicking
away somewhere along the waterfall's course. How wet is the ground around
the waterfall area? ~ jan

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 22:57:51 -0400, Larry wrote:

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:40:35 GMT, "tim chandler"
wrote:

Larry,

It sure sounds like a leak. To lose a foot a day in a 3'x3' area (only 9
square feet of surface area) is 9 cubic feet of water or about 67-68 gallons
a day! If you had, say, 150 square feet of pond instead in full sun and
lived in a hot and dry and/or windy climate, then to lose that much a day
would take it down less than an inch and wouldn't be out of the range for
evaporation alone.

You may be able to pin it down by filling everything up to the brim but not
running the waterfall. Let it stand for a day and see what part loses
water. If nothing goes down, then yes, evaporation from your waterfall
could be the problem - but to lose that much in a day I'd still suspect a
leak.

Happy Ponding,
Tim

Thanks Tim,

As I posted the message tonight, I thought about the 12" estimate.
Thought that it sounded like a lot so I stuck my hands in with a tape
to see. I'd estimate closer to 8". When I'm away for a few days I
turn the pump waterfall pump off. I loose very little during those
few days.

Does anyone know if the waterfall is contributing to the vast majority
of evaporation.

TIA

Larry
Southern Ontario