Old 19-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

What is the definition of "Active Organic Matter"?
It all sounds remarkably like a rip off. Is it?

I'm not falling for that much overplayed troll Franz, even for your
80th. birthday, but I can tell you that I looked at the item advertised.
It works a bit like a soil ph test and it is priced at £10/11.95.

I don't doubt that it does what it claims, i.e. it measures the amount
of roughage in the soil, but that does not have a lot of meaning in the
context of organic gardening as a style of soil and plant management.

I'm left wondering what the gadget would make of testing a piece of
coconut matting - packed full of fibrous matter, but useless to plants?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.