Old 19-08-2004, 10:47 PM
Sacha

On 19/8/04 20:53, in article , "Rodger
Whitlock" wrote:

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:06:50 +0100, Sacha wrote:

snip
That's an Albizia julibrissin (IIRC) not a mimosa (Acacia)
They're half hardy but can be grown in warmer parts of the south west of
England, the Channel Isles and the Scillies. How it would do as a house
plant, I have no idea. I rather doubt it would flourish though. As it cost
you nothing, it's certainly worth a try!

Two zeds or one? Albizzia or Albizia? I think two but may be
mistaken.

However you spell its generic name, the "mimosa" we're discussing
is a common tree, nearly a weed, in the Maryland suburbs of
Washington DC, where I grew up. Bear in mind that area regularly
has summer temperatures of 100F or even a little higher. Fair
amount of summer rain.

Here in Victoria, BC, with a rather cool maritime climate,
"mimosa" is fairly uncommon, but mature specimens exist. Just in
the last week or so I've spotted two in full flower. This
surprised me, but we've had an exceptionally hot summer (temps up
to high 80's F) which must agree with them. We get very little
summer rain, however. Our winter temperatures are similar to
those of Washington DC, usually around freezing or a little
higher, with short periods around 15F sometimes.

The two I've seen here were both on the south side of a building
in full sun.

So: probably pretty hardy as far as temperature is concerned, but
needs lots of summer heat. Might do well in London where the
paving and buildings create a heat island, if you were careful
about siting against a protected south-facing wall.

I'm not sure I'm following you correctly, Rodger. Mimosa which is correctly
called Acacia is not Albizia. Mimosas have yellow flowers, Albizia have
pink flowers and the two shapes are quite different. We can't be discussing
Albizia as mimosa or vice versa - they're completely separate plants. Or
have I misunderstood you? Are you saying that you've seen both Albizia and
mimosa growing near you? Or is it that Albizia is known as mimosa in USA?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk