Old 20-08-2004, 12:53 AM
Temprance

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:05:45 +1000, "Helen" wrote:

What a horrible situation! Killing hedgegogs is terrible; but so is the
eating of endangered birds' eggs! I suppose the only thing is to try and
move the 'hogs to an area where there are no endangered species.
"Phil L" wrote in message
Helen wrote:
:: Couldn't believe my eyes to read about the slaughter of hedgehogs!
:: As I live in OZ, I'm not sure of what RSPB stands for. Why would
:: any organisation lead a slaughter of hedgehogs? Can someone please
:: help?

I presume you mean this:
http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?...2&id=735662003
The 'hogs are eating the eggs of endangered birds, but the

conservationists
'rescued' about 200 of them and moved them to the mainland...the

authorities
have spent a total of £26,000 to kill 66 'hogs, but these are believed to
have been replaced by at least 60 baby hoglets making a grand total of 6

in
the reduction - average cost per death = £4,330.
It's been grinding on for a few years now but is proving to be a severe
headache for those involved as the astronomical costs continue to mount

up.

It's a catch 22 situation but I know several people who would have
homed hedgehogs if the had a chance.
Temprance