Old 20-08-2004, 08:41 AM
Kay

In article , Helen
writes
Couldn't believe my eyes to read about the slaughter of hedgehogs! As I live
in OZ, I'm not sure of what RSPB stands for. Why would any organisation
lead a slaughter of hedgehogs? Can someone please help?

I presume this refers to N Uist, which is a small island off the W Coast
of Scotland and a haven for ground nesting birds. Until a few years ago,
there were no hedgehogs. Then they were introduced, allegedly by a
gardener wishing to control slugs.

Some naturalists believe that the introduced hedgehogs are taking eggs
from nests on the ground and causing a population decline in the
indigenous birds and therefore need to be removed.

Some naturalists believe that capturing the hedgehogs and releasing them
on the mainland would merely sentence them to a slow death from
unaccustomed parasites or a messy death on the busy roads that they're
not used to.

Hence the cull.

I'm not sure why you're so incredulous - you have had more than enough
trouble with introduced species threatening your native wildlife, have
you not?

--
Kay