Old 20-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann

notfranz.
writes

The right adjectives would be "lazy" and "irregular", not

"meagre".

What on earth are these trays doing under the pots?

You need to ask that? ;-) "lazy" and "irregular" watering means

that
the
soil dries out, and it's extremely difficult to wet it again. So

tray
under the pot catches the water as it comes through and allows

the
soil
to soak it up at leisure

I have never had trays under our outdoor pots, only in the case of
small indoor pots on a window sill, and I have never had serious
watering problems. On the odd occasion when a pot has become bone
dry, I have put a plastic bottle with a *very* small puncture in

its
bottom, filled with water, on the compost, so that it could leak

water
into the pot over a period of an hour or so. That has always coped
with getting the compost damp again.

I don't think you're doing 'lazy' and 'irregular' properly!

Yes I am. {:-))

Franz