Old 20-08-2004, 07:45 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Franz Heymann
writes

"Robert E A Harvey" wrote in message
. com...

All very useful information to bear in mind.

I'm not sure about translucent frames being good enough for forcing
plants at the start of the year.

I may be wrong, but I am under the impression that the translucent
material does not necessarily absorb a significant fraction of the
incident light, but that it simply scatters it. If I am right, there
should be no problem about forcing plants early in the season.

If it is the same stuff as I am using (intended for conservatory roof
applications) it may transmit around 6% less light due to the internal
structure and being double skinned. But it more than makes up for that
by providing better insulation. I have known other cacti growers use
this stuff to great effect in their greenhouses (and intend to do the
same).

I'd be a bit less convinced by the 6mm grade. I reckon that may reflect
back as much as 10% of the incident light. But even then it may not be a
real issue since it is the warmth that encourages early germination.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown