Old 20-08-2004, 08:03 PM
bnd777

"SantaUK" wrote in message
I moved into a new build home at the start of the year. To say there was

slope in most of the back gardens would be an understatement.

Went on holiday for two weeks, to return to find my neighbour has levelled
his back garden. I'll try to describe the best I can.

He's placed strapping onto our joining fence, attached to the fence posts.
He has then laid on their side, 3x2 slabs, leaning against this strapping,
and then filled with soil. He has raised his land by two feet, and
subsequently, the fence on my side is 6 foot, but on his side, is then

only
4 foot. Obviously all the weight of this soil and slabs are against the
fence, and my concern is with drainage and stress on the fence, and the

fact
that in two years time, what if the fence rots / snaps / breaks etc, where
do I go from there once it all slides into my garden?

This home is in Scotland, so Scots law applies, is there anything in the

way
of planning permission that would needed to have been received before

going
through with this? He didn't ask or say to myself that he was going to do
this, I just think that we can't all go around raising the height of our
land and / or without a supporting wall.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Regards

Irrespective of scots law ,,,,,,,your neighbour simply cannot use your fence
to support his land

He must install proper retaining walls that in no way threaten your fence

As it stands your fence will rot and buckle from the wet /stress and
pressure of both slabs /soil and rainwater run off