Old 21-08-2004, 12:36 AM
Phisherman

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:24:55 -0400, "Stephen M. Henning"
wrote:

(paghat) wrote:

My theory is this "Irish Spring repells deer" urban legend got started

Actually deer usually first detect their predators by their smell. Man
is their main predator as you mention. Any strong smell whether it be
soap, herbs, rotten eggs, garlic, or most anything dulls their sense of
smell and their ability to protect themselves from predators. Natural
selection has reinforced their natural reaction to this bad situation.
However, natural selection has also taught them that starving is also
bad, and that strong smells are not as bad as starvation.

Ha! It is not unusual deer to stand within 20 feet of me, casually
munching on the grass. One came as close as 6 feet--all I can
remember are those huge ears! I have seen as many as 14 deer on my
front lawn. And this happens in the middle of the city. It doesn't
take long to take a shrub down to the ground. Many neighbors have
tried rotten eggs, tobacco infusions, human hair, fox urine, human
urine, Milorganite, etc etc without success. Fencing, a dog,
bow-and-arrow (although illegal) are very effective.