Old 21-08-2004, 12:45 AM
Lee

"Steve Wolfe" wrote in message ...
Best soil for rooting cuttings? Sand works better than potting soil
(Miracle Gro), but is there something better still?

I'm lazy, so here's how I do it. I get a bag of "Ferti-Lome" potting
soil, which has a LOT of peat. I get the compressed-peat pots, and a
plastic tray. Put dirt in pots, put pots in tray. When you want to water,
pour water in the tray. It'll soak up through the peat pots. Some seeds
don't like having the peat holding lots of water, and don't do so well.
Most things, however, do just dandy.

steve

LOL! I'm even lazier!! I don't have much room to work in so 7/22/04
took 3 cuttings of Oliander, several cuttings of various Lantanas;
trimmed them to few leaves, big ones clipped in half, and filled pint
jars with water, placed siran wrap over the openings, poked holes for
each plant in the tops and inserted the clippings. 8/07/04 Oleanders
sprouting. 8/13/04 potted 3 well rooted Oleanders in about half
contractors sand and MG potting soil and they are doing really well..
they never ever looked stressed the whole time. they were on the
dining table on the patio shaded but good light. two of the Lantana
are nearly ready to pot but the specie I wanted most is not sprouted
as yet; however it is still fresh looking so hoping. On 8/11 have 3
plastic tubs of same mix soil and stuck bunch of jade leaves and
cuttings, Xmas cactus, coleus,pencil cactus, bunny ear cactus and
sansavarious and can't remember what else and they are also doing well
and most of them already feel like they are taking root. hoping to
have ready for church pot plant sale, too. Did Spirea same way,in
soil.
leo