Old 21-08-2004, 01:10 AM

Joseph,

If by "...pruning the lower branches" you mean removing the lower branches,
you can do it anytime. However, removing lower branches will have little or no
effect on top growth.

--beeky

joseph musolino wrote:

I have 3 of these evergreen conifers on my property (approx 30 ft tall). I
was thinking of pruning the lower branches of the tree to promote higher
growth on top and to clear the area for mowing/people, etc. Some say its OK
to prune off branches up to 10 ft or so, others say I should not do this and
just mulch around the trees. Which is best? Also if I were to prune these
branches, when would be the best time of year to do so? I live in the
Northeast (NJ). Thanks for any and all input.