Old 21-08-2004, 03:55 AM
Doug Kanter

"paghat" wrote in message
news
Doug Kanter wrote:

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"Sheila" wrote in message

I don't accept the government paying for abortions on demand.

I don't accept the government paying for superstition and bull shit

like
"Creationism" being taught in public schools.

Touché. Especially when the bullshit comes from a book written by

HUMANS.

Which bullshit book do you have in mind? The Vedas & Upanishads? The
Koran? Rebi Kordova's The Palm Tree of Deborah? The Talmud? The Descent of
Inanna? Oh right, the Bible. It's a FASCINATING compendium, one of the
greatest literary works of all time, & only as bullshitty as the other of
the top-ten works of literature since literacy began. I mean criminy, do
you know the story of why Tamar posed as a harlot to get knocked up by her
father-in-law, at risk of being stoned to death; & why this made her more
righteous than Judah? It's just one of hundreds of deeply profound
beautiful & strange tales with psychological complexity & heroism. All our
favorite genres are in there somewhere. Humanity is a stinking eruption on
the face of the planet that destroys everything in its path, & if ANYthing
justifies our appalling existance, it is this very capacity to create such
art & poetry that is Torah.

-paghat the ratgirl

Yes. All religions have interesting literature. But, unless I can raise hell
and insist that elected officials believe in John Updike as if he were a
deity, these stories need to be kept far away from government.