Old 21-08-2004, 04:22 AM
Gabrielle

8snip of earlier parts of the post

I'm no expert by any stretch and you are probably better off listening to
others here but I just happened to read in one of my watergardening books
today that reddish brown water is usually a sign of silt (suspended dirt).
Have you recently added plants in pots or had a dust storm or something else
that might add dirt to your pond? They recommended increasing mechanical
filtration or having more patience. They also said water hyacinth aids in
removing silt but that does not sound logical to me.

If you saw my hyacinth, you'd understand. The roots are little balls of
mud with fringe from all the silt that's getting caught in them.
Gabrielle