Old 21-08-2004, 08:31 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Curious schreef
Is sandalwood poisonous if eaten?

* * *
I can't really say and I doubt if anybody could.
However, on the whole poisonous woods are ususally most dangerous if the
poison is extracted first or if the wood is divided into very small
particles (by sanding and such) and can be breathed in. On the whole wood
itself is not digested, meaning that the stuff in the wood stays in. However
IIRC there are a few woods that are poisonous to the touch (when fresh), and
quite a few more that cause allergic reactions (susceptibility varies).

I would expect sandalwood not to be poisonous when eaten, but strongly
suggest you don't try to test this (it costs like crazy too).
PvR