Old 21-08-2004, 03:25 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Tom Randy" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:27:25 -0400, Gary and Karen Manning wrote:

I just received my soil test. It indicated a ph of 7.6. When I

called
the company that did the test, they said that 7.6 was not a problem.

Other
tests was about normal. The organic mater was 5.4. The reason I

ordered
the test that nothing grows very well. What is your thought on this?

Thanks

Gary

7.6 is fine for most plants. It's middle of the scale. Some plants
(Azaleas, Rhodies for example) like a sightly more acidic soil, in the
5.+ range.

I think one can make the argument that a pH of 7.6 is not the middle of the
scale and may be more detrimental than not. The changes in pH is a
logarithmic progression with each point being a 10 fold increase over the
preceeding. Therefore, ericaceous plants like rhododendrons and azaleas
which would prefer a soil pH in the 4.5 to 5.2 range or more than 100 times
more acidic than the existing 7.6 conditions. Hardly "slightly " more
acidic.

By far the majority of plants will thrive in soils with a pH of 6.0 to 7.0
or slightly acidic to neutral. Too much digression in either direction will
limit the nutrient availability and restrict the selection. If given a
choice, I'd err on the side of more acidic soil rather one that is more
alkaline.

While soil pH is definitely an important consideration, it is, as paghat has
pointed out, only one consideration in determining how well plants will
survive in the landscape. There are many other issues which may have as
large if not a larger bearing on plant health. Without knowing in more
detail exactly what your soil and growing conditions are like, it is pretty
difficult to speculate on why your plants are not thriving.

pam - gardengal