Old 19-08-2004, 06:46 PM
Sue

"brickled" wrote :

| looking at putting these into my zone 5 michigan landscape but am leary of
| my chances given how rare thse plants are. have any of you successfully
| grown these and if so, how has the experience been? how would u compare
the
| quality of the fruit with the store bought relatives?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have had hardy kiwi at this location ( also zone 5, western maine) growing
12 years. Had one cluster of flowers, no fruit. Frequently will leaf out
before last frost, then take a hard hit. Supposedly I have one each "male"
and "female", obtained from Pinetree Garden Seeds via Meader breeding. Root
hardy for sure, cane loss in colder winters proves its just marginal for me.

I was excited by the prospect years ago, but I'm beyond bored with them now.

Over on the coast of Maine in Bar Harbor, there is a thriving colony at
College of the Atlantic--a well protected location.

Sue
Western Maine