Old 18-08-2004, 01:16 PM
news.pcisys.net

I still have a 3/4 a bail of straw ("they" said it was barley straw)
from last year. Did not do much for the water, or so it would seem.
Maybe I had it placed improperly. From what I am reading now, it should
not be submerged all the way to the bottom and probably not place in
the bio filter either.
Maybe I will give it another try placed near the top of the water.
Water has been bright to dark green all summer with about two weeks of
partial clarity (could see maybe 2 feet down.) Veggie Filter should
come online in about 5 days (that is when the liner is supposed to arrive.)
Nice to hear from other Coloradians! :-))))
W. Dale (Spring Ranch - Colorado Springs)

G & K Meyer wrote:
I'm in Castle Rock Colorado and I think that the straw may be the answer to
my trouble with algae. I had spent $$ for the straw I got at the garden
center this spring, but I think that is why I did not have the algae problem
this year like I had last year. So I now got a 80 pound bale (for 1/2 what
I paid for the two hands full) and making my own little bags for my pound.
The ones that I got from the garden center where all but gone and started to
see the algae coming back. My pond get sun all day so the algae really can
take off, but this year we have had maybe a few hands full that I pulled
out. Last year I was taking ice-cream pails full out every week.
"MattR" wrote in message

I'm in Fort Collins.

I tried barley pellets and the verdict is still out. The string algae
decreased but now the iris and WH are getting pale. So I fertilized the
iris and we'll see. Ofcourse, that hail storm a week ago did a job and
the WH too.

Doctor John wrote:

I'm in the mountains outside of Fort Collins...

I just don't get this barley straw thing. I've read of many positive
results, and even a couple research papers which indicated it works. My
experience with it has been disappointing, to say the least. It may be

that

under very specific circumstances - pH, nutrient level, temperature,

level

of string algae infestation, etc. - barely straw will have some effect.
Anyway, I'll never use it again. Anyone want to buy my two bales of

barely

straw :-) ??

"news.pcisys.net" wrote in message

So did I DJ. Did not do much to clear my water. Even a bunch of folks
at PPWGS here in Springs, swear by it. I am building a veggie filter
this weekend. Nothing to lose except murky water. And even if it does
not clear things up, will be a nice landscaping to the back yard.
Where are you in Colorado?
W. Dale

Doctor John wrote:

I've tried barely straw and found it to be totally ineffective. I

guess

some people report that it works - maybe in a warm climate. I put bags

of

it in my pond here in Colorado, and the string algae is growing on the

bags!

Dr. John
"elaine" wrote in message
.com...

We are still fighting the green pond thing although the water is

clearing

bit, thanks in part to something from Laguna that is supposed to make

the

suspended alagae clump therefore making it easier for your filter to

grab.

Not a big fan of the chemical thing, but since it said nothing about

killing

the algae I figured I would let the SO have his way and try it. The

LFS

has

bags of Barley straw pellets on sale that I would like to try but the

SO

says that the tannins in it will turn the pond brown? I had never

heard

this but this whole pond thing is new to me.
Thanks for the help
Elaine