Old 22-08-2004, 02:54 AM
Ka30P

Hi Dennis,
As long as you get up to speed on how to manage a pond through winter you can
add fish and plants now.

Winter care usually involves keeping a hole open in the ice.
Many of us do it with a floating heater (comes on at freezing temps) or an air
pump and air stone. Stop feeding when water temp. gets to be 55 degrees. Shut
down waterfalls and fountains (stops ice dams from emptying the pond) and clean
and store the filter for the winter.

I asked a question about books (for a different reason) recently and I'll
attach the answers below ~

Subject: fish/pond book recommendations
From: "Stephen M. Henning" A HREF="mailto
Date: Sat, Jul 10, 2004 5:25 PM
EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote:

Besides Helen Nash's books, what other books do rec.ponders
like for pondkeeping with fish?

"The Pond Doctor" by Helen Nash you mention is a good general cover
everything book.

Ortho has three books. The older one is "All About Garden Pools and
Fountains" very good on specific fish and specific plants.

The newer version is "All About Water Gardening" is much better on water
plants.

The big one is "Creating Water Gardens" and is my favorite. It covers
plants and fish in great detail and has a lot of useful information.

Frances Perry's The Water Garden doesn't have much on fish.

Louise Riotte's Catfish, Ponds & Lily Pads is great if you want to raise
edible fish.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman"
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhod
yman/A

From: "RichToyBox" A
"RichToyBox@co mcast.net/A
Date: Sat, Jul 10, 2004 7:38 PM

I really like Doc Johnson's book. It has some info on things like filters,
a fair amount of info on water quality, and a lot of info on health.
I list the ones I have at http://www.fishpondinfo.com/psource.htm

kathy :-)
algae primer