Old 22-08-2004, 01:27 AM
N. Thornton

Ben wrote in message ...
dave @ stejonda wrote:
In message , Ben
writes

I think I'd replace the wooden fence with a breeze-block/brick wall -
more difficult to vandalise and anything the little wonders do to the
other side won't bother you. The roots of anything planted through the
tarmac are likely to damage more of the tarmac around the hole.

Hmm, sounds expensive. Also, they've done a pretty good job of
vandalising some brick walls round here lately by throwing rocks at them
- huge bits fall off. I actually do care what they do to the other side,
as I have to walk past it every day. I'd like to be able to see what
they're up to without them being able to climb over. Hence picket fence
with pointy top, or lowish spiky hedge. The house on the other side of
the footpath has a hedge and it hasn't done the tarmac footpath any
damage, although its planted in soil, not holes drilled into the tarmac.

seedlings wont survive any vandalism, but ready grown plants will,
unless they pull them out before they root in.

To make a wall vandal proof, include plenty of galv iron wire in the
mortar. Unfortunately the galv will rust and pull the wall apart after
a couple of decades, stainless would be much better but I've never
found the stuff yet. And of course use either dense crete blocks, or
make a poured crete wall. Lightweight blocks are... lightweight.

Tall vertical iron railings are also pretty effective, and see
through.

Regards, NT