Old 22-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Lynda Thornton

Default Rhodedendrons/Azalias - pruning and problems

Hi

We've just moved and have a large woodland type garden which is
wonderful. The thing is it's full of high hedges and large plants I
haven't really had much experience of growing, including various
rhodendendrons and possibly azaleas.

One large specimen seems to have suddenly become mildewed, it's got a
white bloom all over it, and doesn't look very well. Is this something
that will right itself in time and is it down to weather conditions, or
will it need spraying and could it seriously harm the bush? The others
nearby don't seem to have been affected.

Also, what is the best way to keep a rounded shape to these bushes - I
think they've been clipped and new growth is showing on some of them,
but when is the time to cut and how much needs to come off, and above
all is it simple or complicated as I'm not very confident when it comes
to pruning!

I don't mind if the bushes get a bit larger, I just don't want them to
become straggly, overgrown and a mess.

Thanks in advance and I hope I can ask a few more questions about other
trees and things in other threads, as I have many of them!

Lynda