Old 22-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Roy

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 21:39:07 -0400, "DennisD"
wrote:

===I am in the process of re-building my deck and will have steps and a walkway
===down to a new water garden as the focal point. I have many questions, but
===first would like to know of any good book recommendations you all have?
===Also, I am in southeran Pennsylvania, if I was smart (not often I hear that)
===would I wait until next spring or start it now and would you add any
===plants/fish this year? TIA
===

The books put out by Ortho are good, but the best books I found are
those that are aimed at this specific zone. In particular, I have a
Southern HOmes and Garden book which only covers plants that will work
well in this area........I have another book called Gardeing in
Alabama and its geared mainly for Alabama........and you can usually
find books like these at Books A Million or local garden
centers.........

One thing that gets me is buying a book mailorder or online and
finding out the author is a Brit. I don;t have anything against a
Brit, and while lots of plants are the same here as in Britton, a lot
of terms and words are totally different and can get confusing or
comical, so if its just general intersts I don't mind, but try an get
a book specific to your locale.

The last book my wife bought me was the one geared to Gardening in
Alabama, and has quite an extensive section on water gardens in it. It
breaks down all the major plants grown in this area, into
groups...Trees, Vines, Ground Covers, Perenials, Annuals, Water
Gardens, etc etc and then gives a month by month bloow at what you
should do or attempt to do and what not to do according to the month.
I would think there may be a similar book for your area. Oh, and Wal
MArt carries the Ortho Books at a reduced price.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.