Old 22-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 03:06:51 GMT, tennis maynard
wrote:

K Barrett wrote:
Another thing I'm doing is having the PR person from our water department
come talk about water quality. Of course he ain't a John G. Talpa...

That's a good idea; we had such a meeting and we all took samples in of
our water with and without fertilizer added and had them tested.

Another idea:

Have those who know do a hands-on of how to set up an exhibit, so that
when your society has a show there will be more knowledgeable folks to help.

We did a sort of "wide games" with these demos. We had 5.
Display, Bugs & Chemicals, Mounts, Repot, Wildcatt. The small
groups were to visit each workshop. The problem is repeating the
errors of the demonstrator. The good is that you could have
several people working on preparing ways to do things so you get
a few more tricks. One person has an opinion, 2 or more have a
handful to tried and true tricks and several ways to do the same
thing. People could bring in questionable names or unknown
hybrids to find out what Wildcatt has to say about the parents of
their plants. We need to do more with how plants are labeled for
displays and judging.

At the spring show a display was all set up; when a friend
completely reorganized it. Her style was more effective. After
that we talked about doing a couple is displays, showing
everyone. Then having another group do it their way. See if they
can improve on each other. I think this would be easier if
someone took it apart in between, at least to some extent. It
would also demonstrate that everyone can put a display together
and that they do not have to be difficult. We often get in
trouble with too many props. But you don't see it until
afterward.
SuE