Old 23-08-2004, 03:30 AM
Katra

In article ,
Rusty Mase wrote:

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:40:58 -0500, Katra
wrote:

It happened here in our town once. A guy had
a pet squirrel that he'd raised from a baby and it bit someone. The
shelter confiscated it and killed it.

Extremely mean people, I wager.

Rusty Mase

No, hand raised squirrels tend to do that.
Females especially!

I do some wildlife rehabbing and strongly try to discourage people from
taming baby squirrels! I turn all of mine over to Wildlife rescue inc.
now so that they can be raised with others and stay wild.

We hand raised a "loner" baby female squirrel one time. Named her
"flicka". As soon as she matured and her hormones kicked in, she started
attacking us. She'd run at us, bite, then run away.

We finally started throwing things at her (without harming her) to try
to teach her to be afraid of humans! It worked and she finally went wild
like she was supposed to.

It just seems to be a squirrel thing.

No, the shelter people actually felt very bad about it, but human
welfare comes before squirrel welfare unfortunately.

My point being is that if you have a pet squirrel and it's given to
attacking other humans, don't let it near other humans. Either teach if
to fear them, or keep it in it's cage. :-P

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...