Old 20-08-2004, 05:15 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message
news
ook wrote:

Sasa asahina

It is a "groundcover" bamboo. A short or dwarf spreading or running
bamboo. I would be very afraid of it. It sounds quite invasive.

Running bamboos ARE invasive, but that doesn't necessarily mean one should
discard any thoughts to planting them. With a little time and effort, they
can be very adequately contained and their spread satisfactorily
restricted.. And many of the sasas and some of the dwarf forms of
Pleioblastus make excellent, evergreen container subjects, specially those
offering variegated foliage. I have Pleioblatus variegatus growing in a 20"
ceramic pot and it is a full, lush evergreen accent to my shady front porch
all 12 months of the year.

Even larger growing running bamboos can be grown in containers - you just
need to size the container accordingly.

pam - gardengal