Old 23-08-2004, 08:39 AM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes
On 22/8/04 22:40, in article , "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:45:27 +0100, Ros Butt
wrote:

On pulling some carrots yesterday, I found one was pale yellow. Is this
perhaps a type of 'albino' rogue carrot, (if such a thing exists in the
carrot world), or is it some disease I need to be aware of and take
necessary steps.

On Gardeners' World on Friday, Monty was pulling a special variety of
yellow carrots.

I believe that carrots were originally yellow and that the red ones were the
original 'mutants'.
This from a BBC radio prog a few months ago IIRC.

??? I seem to remember reading/hearing that they were purple?

That's my memory too, and it would make sense since IIRC the wild carrot
(Daucus carota) is whitish with purple streaks. I don't think we're
talking deep purple like an aubergine here, more the sort of streaky
purple that you get on stalks of umbellifers and even at the base of
the leaf stalks of the domesticated carrot.

--
Kay