Old 23-08-2004, 11:25 AM
Andrew G

"Crimson Castle" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm thinking of using my weeds as compost. But my gardener told me to

forget
about it. He argues that its pointless placing the weeds into the compost
bin and then using them as mulch (in three months time or so) because the
seeds often don't die - and you end up seeding your garden with the darn
weed seeds. He now insists that only lawn grass clippings get placed into
the compost bin.... well that's another story.

It is pointless unless the heat created by your compost reaches above 60
degs celsius as that is usually what's required to kill seeds.
As for grass clippings. Well they do heat up, but not all seeds in the
clippings will die.
Though there is no harm in having a bin purely for clippings then using them
as mulch when they are well rotted.

In the ancient past I'd put the weeds into a concrete compost oven and

cook
and bake the darn things - then use it. But we are not allowed to do that
now - due to council by-laws.

I thought of placing the weeds into a special big plastic tub in a far
corner of the backyard- and then letting them soak in crappy water and

some
manure for a month or so. Would that help to kill the weed seeds?

Nothing that's 100% certain. Just bag them up and throw them out. You may be
able to soak them in water and make weed juice, but careful to filter it
properly to avoid any seeds getting through.

Good luck

Cheers,

Crimson

--
Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their

common
sense.
Gertrude Stein (1874 - 1946)