Old 23-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Franz Heymann
writes

"Ben" wrote in message
mike ring wrote:

From what theu do to brick walls of front gardens, and fences

round here, I
would say get a good hedge in if you can.

For some reason they seem less attractive to vandals, and there

are some
good prickly ones, I know of pyrocanthus, which is a real thug,

and seems
bulletproof as well, and the birds love it in autumn - (I had the

care of
one once), but I expect the good folks here know of some more evil

species.

I was thinking of pyracantha, I've already planted some to stop them
climbing over a low fence and its vicious stuff :-) I guess, apart

from
being spiky, the main attraction of a hedge is that its

self-repairing.

Having just tidied up a pyracantha screening my oil tank, I can vouch
for its bloodletting abilities.
You might also consider one of the long-thorned berberises.

Or hawthorn, or wild rose. If there is a decent length it is worth
planting in chunks of 6-8' all the same species to get some variety.
Pyracantha should be high up the list as it is moderately fast growing
too.

Allowing some fairly vicious rambling rose to scramble through an
ordinary boring hedge brightens it up with flowers and rose hips whilst
discouraging vandals from climbing through it. You may need some robust
low temporary fence in to allow them to get established.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown