Old 18-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Peter Crowl

Without reading every post in this thread - so at the risk of duplication -
has anybody considered that the vendor might have credited Wal-Mart for
these liners...it would probably cost too much to send back a dozen
liners...more than they're worth..and if so Wal-Mart would have been
required to destroy them

There is a similar example in book stores. Paperbacks that don't sell
....management is instructed to tear off the covers and dispose of them.

Peter

"PlainBill" wrote in message
It seems to be the typical 'dog in the manger' attitude at WalMart /
Sams Club. I attribute it to the large number of MBAs currently
infesting American business.

15 years or so ago (shortly after Sam Walton gave up his hands-on
control of the company) there was a big outcry over a change in policy
at the Sams Club bakeries. Previously the bakery would give the
outdated baked goods to local shelters for distribution to the
residents. Obviously, this was appreciated by The Salvation Army,
Women in Distress, and countless homeless shelters. Then Sams Club
discontinued the practice. According to the newspaper article, they
now ran all outdated bakery goods through a $50,000 'blender' they
had installed in each store. I could only hope that if the shelters
then had to buy their baked goods, they went to Costco.

PlainBill

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:05:08 GMT, (Roy)
wrote:

Was at Wal MArt today and happened to see a heap of preformed ponds
setting on a pallet outside the garden section. (15 total preformed)
I looked at them and there were two sizes / shapes, both relatively
large in size, but no price on them..I inquired inside on how much
they were, (actually hoping they may be discounted for clearance) and
no one inside could tell me what the story was, so they called
management. Management came and I asked about the preformed ponds
outside and how much they were. I was promptly told they were not for
sale and were to be trashed.....and then.........She promptly
reminded the assocate there to make sure they were cut in two before
they got thrown in the large construction dumpster out
back...........

Only in America.......where excess bountiful materials and goods are
trashed before selling.
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from

oppression, for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself.
-Thomas Paine