Old 23-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
In message , Franz Heymann
writes

My point was that I do not understand what process can determine

the
amount of arbitrary organic matter in a sample by simply shaking a
suspension of the sample in a liquid and looking for a colour

change.

Probably something like: a fairly powerful oxidising agent, a

catalyst
and a suitable indicator.

I am sincerely doubtful whether *all* organic compounds would respond
identically to such a group of agents.

It may be more specific than that - targeting
the acidic peaty component that is guaranteed to rot and change

volume.

That would be a pH meter. That does not measure "total organic
content", and would give wildly misleading results in limestone
country.

I still think it is a scam.

Franz