Old 23-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Doug Kanter

"William Wagner" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

Open fires??? What's that got to do with compost? :-)

My father always burned bones before he add to our piles. Which we have
had for awhile. Seems he thought it made the nutrients more available.
Guess a lot like adding wood ashes etc.

Death and destruction is a way of describing the way we garden.

PS Got any fresh killed tree chips you want to dump on my yard?

No chips, although the old lady across the street from my new house is
trying to have her perfectly good sycamore murdered, in case you'd like to
come to Rochester NY with a dump truck. One by one, I'm meeting the new
neighbors. This one hobbled out yesterday to say hello. The first thing out
her mouth: "Lemme tell ya about this damned tree. This has been the WORST
year for it throwin' all that bark down & nobody can figure out what disease
it is that's causin' it. And the town's no damn help! It's on their
easement, and they won't come out & look at it". I tried to explain that the
bark falls off those trees when they grow, like lobsters molting, and that
the excessive shedding could be connected with the fact that we've had WAY
more rain than usual this year. But no. Her tree is sick.