Old 21-08-2004, 07:40 AM
Travis

Pam - gardengal wrote:
"ook" wrote in message ...

A very nice person gave me some bamboo as a gift, and I'm at a complete
loss as to what it's growth habit, hardiness, and growth requirements
are- any suggestions on (preferably internet based) resources I can use
to look up information on it?

The species is: Sasa asahina

(The grower's website, www.bamboogarden.com/usage.htm, merely lists it
as 'suitable for ground cover', and nothing more. A google search was
even less fruitful.)

Sasa is a derivative of the Japanese word 'zasa', meaning small - all of the
cultivars of Sasa are lower growing, spreading bamboos, suitable for
groundcovers. Most are found naturally in damp hollows or woodlands and all
will prefer partial shade and moist, rich soils. They are very hardy, most
easily withstanding temps below 0F, -20F is generally considered the lower
limit. These are serious runners - site carefully, plant in a container or
use some sort of recommended bamboo containment system.

I am not familiar with this particular species, which is also sometimes
referred to as S. schimidzuana. You might want to locate a good bamboo
reference for details or contact the American Bamboo Society.

pam - gardengal

I beg to differ Pam. Sasa shimidzuana can get up to 6 ft tall
according to "Bamboo for Gardens" by Ted Meredith. My young Sasa
palmata is already 4 ft tall and will eventually get 7 ft tall. Sasa
asahina is not in the book.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington