Old 19-08-2004, 04:56 AM
Ray Drouillard

"The Ranger" wrote in message
[posted to ba.garden, too]

I had (stress that word) six beautiful,
almost-ripe-and-ready-to-serve heirlooms. They were monstrous and
finishing up ripening. I checked them regularly for progress and
was planning to pick them today.

I see that all six have provided a feast for some as-yet-unfound
pest! Circular bites, approx. an inch wide by 1/2" inch deep. I
immediately went looking for tomato worms and found none. I
searched for snails but again found none. I was buzzed by six angry
wasps, though; 2 mud-dabbers and four meat-bees (yellow jackets).
Could these have been the source of predation?

Many thanks for helping me eliminate the varmint.

The Ranger

It's entirely possible that the yellowjackets did it. I have seen them
eat holes in ripe pears that are fairly big.

Ray