Old 23-08-2004, 07:56 PM
Rob Halgren

Kenni Judd wrote:

Joanna: I seriously doubt that you hurt your plants, but it sounds like you
hurt yourself G. I think it's great that you finally worked up the nerve,
and now understand what's involved, but don't let other folks tell you that
you have to do them ALL yourself to be "taken seriously."

Does that mean the more plants you repot the seriouser (should be a
word) you get? I must be painfully dull. Anyway, I agree completely.
If you want to (and can afford to) have your plants repotted for you why
not? I wouldn't necessarily take the experience of two plants and
extrapolate it, as I suspect that you would get much better at it if you
practice a bit. In fact, I have a few thousand you could practice on
this week, for free... *grin*

I do find it interesting that someone can get 5-7 dollars per plant
to repot. Materials aren't that expensive, really. If I repot one per
minute (not unreasonable for me, if everything is near at hand), then
that is ... wow. Of course nobody is going to bring in 60 plants, and
chances are it would take more like 5 minutes with questions and
answers. That is still $60 per hour. Good work if you can get it.
Probably not an unreasonably high amount to charge for a couple of
plants, though, especially if you want to spend some of your time doing
something else.

Seems like this would be a valuable service to offer to your
customers, if you are a smallish plant seller. I doubt it would work
for the big vendors, although I do remember that Hausermanns would repot
plants for you. I can't recall what they charged. I took a cymbidium
in a 12"
pot in for them to do for me when I was first starting out. It was more
than I could handle. I think they used a hacksaw... More than I want to
handle now, frankly.

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )