Old 23-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Diana Kulaga

Personally, I feel quite virtuous after a good potting session, though they
don't occur as often as they should (mea culpa).

Joanna, I understand all about aching backs after a session, though. The
trick is to have a place that is the right height for you, and to have all
your "stuff" handy. Most of the problem comes with a lack of organization,
for which growers with few plants can definitely be forgiven. When I first
began growing, I didn't have a bench, or any other place that was dedicated
to potting. Materials were here, there, and everywhere. It's not like that
anymore, for me. And, as Ray describes, your choice of medium matters a lot.
I don't use bark mixes, and I find it much simpler to repot without that
stuff.

I find the interaction with the plants when I repot to be quite satisfying.
I like trimming them, and cleaning them, and also the occasional challenge
when one of them absolutely refuses to get into that pot. Oh, well, just
re-read Mick's sensuous post; that says it!

Having said all that, if you want to have someone else do it, who says you
are wrong? I love the six acres or so of floor tile in our house, but I
don't much enjoy cleaning it! Be happy.

Diana