Old 18-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Roy

Well I have been keeping an eye on the Wal Mart dumpster for when they
dump those liners. They are not currently anywhere outside like they
used to be but have yet to be dumped. While I was waiting for the
manager to talk to about those liners the other day I had spotted a
Water Gardening book, but forgot to pick it up before I left. Anyway
today I was at the other Wal Mart on the other side of
town..........which I have to say is like being in a whole different
world compared to the one I was at first. There foks were busy cleanin
g up lawn and garden items, taking care of plants etc, unlike the
other store who is usually busy dumping cartons of dead wilted plants
etc. I spotted a preformed pond with a three tier cascade water fall
and pump and fountain and started to look at it. It was marked at $79.
They had 9 in stock full complete pond kits contaiing a 600gph pump,
filter, foutain and the two preforms with thre larger pond itself
being a 90 gal cap. Made by Marcote (SP?) Smae liner along sells for
over $120 at most home builder stores like HD and Lowes. I inquired
if they had the water gardeing book I was looking for, (they did not)
and I mentioned, that I was now forced to go back to the "other"
walmart and get it. I then asked the person who happened to be the
ast. mgr in the garden center how was it that they had complete pond
kits on the shelf there but the other store had a heap of just liners
fixing to get trashed.........or do you soon plan on trashing those
kits too. He laughed and said "Oh the pond liner fiasco"

What happened was the manager they had at this other store screwed up
and ordered more than he needed. He did not have place to display them
all so he got the bright idea to break all the kits down and stack
liners in side liners and all parts in the top liner........Well one
thing lead to another and soon most parts were scattered all over.
Since none of the items were intended to be sold individually those
that cropped up laying here and there were tossed as they were not on
inventory per se as a single type item (pump, filter etc etc) This
clown also did the same with his overstock of wheel
barrows..........put all the tubs in one pile and piled in the wheels
and attaching hardware etc to conserve shelf space. Anyhow he
"managed" (he was a manager wasn't he?) to cost the company a few
bucks of lost merchandise and is no longer employed at the store, due
to this and his inept ability to manage folks yet alone merchandise.
Also found out that store had the highest rate of returns on dead or
inferior plants. The plant supplier puts out a good product, and
warrants it, however they only warrant it one time to Wal MArt, plant
for plant, after that its Wal MArts loss on additional plants.
Needless to say plants and in general anything in the lawn and garden
department was not taken care of properly, right down to the lawn
tractors etc. They also trashed a heap of well used and abused lawn
furniture as well that was literally setup and set outside and foks
just used as casual gathering places, and suceeded in trashing most of
it......So anyhow since the pond liners were never intended to be sold
individually they had to be cut up and thrown out........As far as
this other manager that was telling me this knew Wal MArt took the hit
on that and a lot of other screwups this manager made, who in th end
sufficiently screwed up enough to cost him his job. This particular
store is in a not too good side of town and clientel are not the
worlds greatest, and evidently they hire managers and clerks that go
hand in hand with the clientel they serve.

So I can;t really find fault with Wally World on this issue to a
certain point, wrong as it may seem by destroying the liners. They
have a given policy and they try and hold to the policy and to
introduce items not normally stocked on on a location list would foul
up things overall.

Sorry for the rant!
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.