Old 23-08-2004, 10:12 PM
Roy

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:18:23 -0400, Hal wrote:

snip
It takes about 6 weeks to get the biofilter up to speed.

This is something I am not sure about. I know filters can get pretty
gunky after use, so I assume this is in part to beneficial bacteria or
at least there is some in that mess. Since it takes 6 weeks I assume
it can start to populate the filter balls naturally. I have been told
not to put any fish in the tub for approx 3 to 4 weeks, so without
fish and just plants will this start up the bacteria I need. Also,
other than initial fertilizer in a new planting, what is the way to
get nourishment to plants in a new setup? I would not think there is
sufficient fertilizer or nutrients in water alone.

I have a coiuple of bare root plants coming this week that I plan on
puttin in this 1/2 barrel, and they told me not to fertilize until 2
or so weeks after new growth appears. They suppposedly cut the plants
back for shippment.....I am sort of lost on this container stuff and
such, but it seems to me a natural pond is so much easier! What can I
say, I have to please the wife and get her what she wants as she never
complains when I get what I want.......thats life I guess.

===
===When the flow stops the helpful bacteria begin to die (within half an
===hour.) so try to keep it going once it is started and I try to be
===quick about cleaning filters.
===
===Regards,
===