Old 23-08-2004, 10:45 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 03:18:59 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

I picked up a little giant 300 gph filter today.
bunch of small pieces of plastic like honeycomb looking things that is
supposed to be put in the filter, but none of the instructions show
where to place them.

In my Becket box filter the bio-balls are put around the pump below the
pads. The pads can be bio-filters too, till they get too coated with junk.
As Hal mentioned, the bacteria do slowly drown (my simplified explanation)
when the water isn't pumping, as they need the O2 as much as the fish. So
when you clean the pads, drain the water out of the box, the bacteria will
do fine if they don't dry out. As far as the pads, if you clean them with
non-chlorinated water, the bacteria in them will survive too.

Is there such a thing as too much filtration.

Probably, but I doubt anyone has come close to doing so.

better half is satisfied as she now has her very own small patio water
garden.

Gotta take care of the better half. ;o) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~