Old 23-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Phil L

Kilroy_Woz_ere wrote:
:: Just moved house and finally got around to checking the garden.
:: Noticed a thick (1/2") branch sprouting from the side of a drain.
:: I need to get rid of it, permanently. It's not near any other
:: plants or garden, is there something I can soak it with to kill it
:: along with all it's roots which I'm worried might eventually cause
:: damage to the drains. I'd rather not start digging up the drive!

you should use SBK - brush it onto the leaves and bark and it will work it's
way into the root system, you'll need to do it at least 3 or 4
times...another alternative is to snip it off as close to the ground as
possible, then smother the raw stump with a mixture of SBK and oil, this
will also require retreatment.

FWIW, you have probably caught it in time as it's roots will not be strong
enough to do any permanent damage to anything yet - another year or so and
you risk subsidence in the house as the roots dry out the clay underneath
the foundations.

HTH