Old 23-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Tumbleweed

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 22/8/04 22:40, in article , "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:45:27 +0100, Ros Butt
wrote:

On pulling some carrots yesterday, I found one was pale yellow. Is

this
perhaps a type of 'albino' rogue carrot, (if such a thing exists in

the
carrot world), or is it some disease I need to be aware of and take
necessary steps.

On Gardeners' World on Friday, Monty was pulling a special variety of
yellow carrots.

Pam in Bristol

I believe that carrots were originally yellow and that the red ones were

the
original 'mutants'.
This from a BBC radio prog a few months ago IIRC.

??? I seem to remember reading/hearing that they were purple?
--
Sacha

Seems we might both have been right?...if this is true

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/sc...00/2149842.stm

" Hundreds of years ago carrots came in loads of different colours, like
yellow, red, purple and even black, but not orange.
Orange carrots didn't go on sale until the 17th century when farmers in
Holland worked out a way to grow them orange, to celebrate their countries
national colour"

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com