Old 24-08-2004, 02:18 AM
Richard E. Steele

I wish that I could have the submerged plants to provide some of my
buffering, but the fish would eat it all. Right now, I am using an upflow
filter of crushed oyster shell and baking soda.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

"Hal" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:04:32 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

A veggie filter of the anacharis and other submerged plants will
actually increase the KH without addition of baking soda and help to
stabilize the pH significantly, but my koi love those types of veggies

and
without a separate pond that form of filter would last only minutes.

I envy your success at increasing KH with submerged plants and wonder
how do you anchor them to the bottom?

The reason I ask, is because I tried gravel and it became a bed of
yuck that had to be cleaned once a year and that got old about the
same time I did.

Regards,

Hal