Old 24-08-2004, 05:32 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Crashj" wrote in message
Overweight but not obese according to Federal BMI standards.(27.1) As
for activity, I walk a mile with my wife at least three times a week.
I do all my own lawn chores (no big deal) and dug my own pond. In the
Winter I ski at least three times a week. Next week we start the new
diet with the newest diet plan based on selecting the good carbs we
need and not eating excessive meat and fat. It has been put together
by a doctor who is still very much alive, unlike Dr. Atkins who died
of a coronary, possibly related to his plan?

** As far as I know even THIN people can have a coronary, although it's
usually those who are overweight that suffer such things. My mother had a
coronary when she was in her 40s. She was 105 lbs, 5' 5" tall - and very
active! Her cholesterol was always below 200. Then she developed high
blood pressure and had several strokes.... go figure!
The Atkins diet (and other low-carb diets) does work and heart attacks are
not a known side effect of these diets - if they're followed correctly.
The NYTimes had some good articles a few years back. There are reams of
info on the net regarding low-carb diets. I lost 46 lbs in 5 months
following one of them. :-) My cholesterol dropped from 230 down to 180
where it's staying. Low-carbing doesn't necessarily mean a grease laden,
fatty diet.

Mrs. Crashj also needs the thyroid pills. That was not the sort of
toxicity I was thinking about. Most of the heart, cholesterol,
allergy, and joint pain drugs so many are on a regular basis have side
effects that would scare the heck out of anyone that actually reads
the little papers from the pharmacist.

** I agree.

I rely on more natural products
to keep the problems from happening in the first place.
--
Crashj

--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"Marriage changes passion. Suddenly you're in bed with a relative."