Old 24-08-2004, 09:52 AM
Kirsty

I don't mind if the weeds don't get killed off in the compost heap, which I
always try and make hot by adding a mixture of dry leaves ,grass clippings,
mulched branches, pot ash, weeds and manure. (heat will kill most weeds)
It still gives me more compost for the garden, and each year the weeds are
becoming less prevalent.

A good combinations of weeds in the garden , not some mono culture of weeds,
are a good sign your garden is healthy. Each year they become more easy to
pull out, as the soil improves, and I am recycling garden matter back into
my own yard, which is a good thing.

But if you think weeds are BAD, as most people do, I would suggest to get a
good worm compost going, and feed it to them. This is another method I
personally use for 'weed control'.

I have a bathtub, with 3 different sections, holes in the bottom for worm
juice, and slats of wood between each section to allow the worms to
migrate.When I throw the weeds into the newest section, where the worms
aren't eating, I chop the weeds up to assist in rotting. Then the worms move
in a finish the job off. At the end I have great worm compost, which I use
for my seedlings, and very few seeds have survived, if any.

( I have another small worm bin for kitchen matter, which I add to weekly,
the bathtub can not be added to in this manner )

"Crimson Castle" wrote in message
"Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish" wrote in message

We soak ours in crappy water for +- 6 months and then use the crappy
water. Works fine.

Six months? OK.

BTW, Do you get problems with mosquitoes?