Old 24-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Shirley Hicks

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:28:11 -0400, FXDWG wrote:

OK, so back to original post.
I also have noticed that now that I finally have red tomatoes, it
looks like the squirrels are eating them.

Does anyone have any REAL advice about what to do??

I don't see the original post.

I live in a small apartment co-ownership apartment building in Toronto
that backs on to one of the two major rivers and it's conservation
area. We have a bunch of enthusiastic tomato growers, with plants in
pots taking advantage of the few places on the property that get
enough sunlight (we also have a lot of matuer trees) We have squirrel
posses coming out our ears. They find the tomato crops on the
balconies, too.

The solution that has worked is to wrapthe plants and pots in 1" mesh
chicken wire. The squirrels can't chew throught that. 1" or 0.5"
hardware cloth will work as well. It needs to be metal, not fibreglas
mesh.

Troll Baby
Toronto, Ontario
"A liberal is a conservative who's been through treatment."
- Garrison Keillor