Old 24-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Bioboffin

Default Shrub root removal

We have a patch of land at the front of the house (about 4m x 5m) which was
previously (25 years ago) planted with Cornus shrubs. 18 months ago we had
them cut down, but this left stumps which in some cases are quite extensive.
They were killed with brushwood weed killer at the time of cutting. I
decided to use the biological approach and cover them with forest bark, in
the hope that decay would take its course, and they would be easy to remove
a year or so down the line.

Unfortunately SWMBO feels that NOW is the time to replant, and would like a
weedproof membrane, covered by slate or similar, planted at intervals with
new shrubs etc. Some of the remaining roots are still resisting decay and
are rather extensive.

As it happens a tree surgeon came to the door today and quoted £500 for full
removal (there are about 12 stumps). After he left, I went out with a hand
axe, and managed to remove two of the stumps (which were quite well rotted).
Others are still very solid.

I'd appreciate some wisdom from this group - is £500 a reasonable sum for
the job? Should I persevere and dig them out myself? Should I leave them for
another six months and risk the wrath of SWMBO?

John.