Old 24-08-2004, 02:49 PM
Doug Kanter

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I have some clover in my lawn here in DC that is out of control. I
understand that some clover is beneficial, but this is definitely too much
of a good thing.

Is there something safe that I can put on it? I have 2 little ones, and I
am not about to put anything toxic on the lawn.

Years ago, I read that clover is an indicator that your lawn is either
deficient in a particular nutrient or has too much of it. Since I like
clover, I promptly flushed the information from my knowledge archive. But,
go to www.hort.cornell.edu and poke around for more info. You can DEFINITELY
solve the clover problem by getting your soil tested and making SAFE
corrections. By the way, clover is not really a problem - it's actually a
good soil conditioner. You just don't like it. :-)

On a side question, my neighbor, who lot is slightly higher than mine,

uses
chemicals freely, like Weed-B-Gone. Should I worry about runoff from his
lawn?

It is absolutely impossible for lawn chemicals to be tested and proven safe
for contact with people. So, I'd urge the neighbor to work with you to
minimize or eliminate their use entirely. They are the lazy person's way of
dealing with lawn problems.