Old 24-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Heidi the Wonder Dog

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Michel Buonarroti" don't e-mail me wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

It is absolutely impossible for lawn chemicals to be tested and proven

safe

for contact with people.

The same thing can be said about any food item. Duh.

Duh. Food and medicines can be tasted/tested on human volunteers. Drug
companies have occasionally solicited volunteers from prison populations for
testing particularly risky drugs, but I am not aware of ANY instance in
which a chemical company has asked for volunteers to ingest or be exposed to
agricultural chemicals. You and I are the test population, but nobody asked
for our permission.

I am not aware of any food or food components that have been "proven" to
be safe for ingestion without adding the qualifier "in normal amounts."
Asparagus, tomatoes, salt, sugar and even water can provoke a fatal
reaction when ingested in large enough quantities. Some, such as
peanuts or wheat products, can be fatal to some people in minute amounts.

Some foods are deemed to be safe for most people under most conditions
in normal quantities, and the same can be said for lawn chemicals that
are sold over the counter. Of course, that's not saying much when you
really think about it.