Old 24-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Zipadee
Doodar writes
Does anyone know where I can purchase a couple of elder shrubs, Sambucus
Nigra, in the Liverpool area? Or even where I can legitimately dig up a
couple of self seeded plants in the local wild? It does not seem to be a
stock item in any of the bigger nurseries.

Are you sure you want to plant it in your garden? You could always pinch
some berries and grow it from seed. The seed grows well enough, but I
suspect it may need to pass through a bird's gullet first.

It is sufficiently prolific that if you asked a landowner with seedlings
on their land I expect they would be happy to pay you to take some away!

The less vigorous golden leaf cultivar is sometimes offered in garden
centres.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown