Old 24-08-2004, 08:50 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
BAC wrote:

I have seen all of the following:

Established for most of a millennium (includes rabbits)
Established since history (i.e. before the Roman invasion)
No definite proof of human involvement
Not deliberately introduced (includes rats etc.)
Including reintroductions (e.g. capercaillie)
Oh, sod it, this doesn't make sense

Personally, I agree with the latter one.

I agree. Having taken another glance at a History of British Mammals,
a good half of our wild species of mammal are not fully native
according to the strictest interpretation. Even the red squirrel is
not, in most of its current range, because it died out in Scotland
and was reintroduced. The same applies to red and roe deer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.