Old 24-08-2004, 10:38 PM
Kay

In article , R.H.
writes
It looks very much like part of a Mincer for food. My mother had one
that looked almost identical to this.

Same here. Yes its part of a food mincer, used for making mince meat from
cooked meat.

The only reason that I don't agree is that I've looked at over a
hundred photos of them after doing an image search, and they all have
the handle on one side and an opening on the other side for the food
to exit, unlike the one in my photo. I'd be happy if you could prove
me wrong and find one like this, but I'd be surprised if it ends up
being a mincer. Michael, does your mother still have hers? Maybe you
could take another look and see how close the resemblence is.

I didn't think 98 could be a mincer because it didn't have any
mechanism for mincing or any convincing way of joining one on. The old
fashioned mincer had a handle which turned a screw thread which carried
the meat to the cutting discs, the whole lot fastened firmly inside the
outer casing so the meat couldn't escape. The thing in the picture
didn't have anywhere to firmly attach any of this mechanism.

--
Kay